Plastic Bag Woman Typhoon Beige Beige Shoulder Sansibar taupe IpwB1qE
Ramita Navai at the University of Birmingham, 2012
July 21, 1973|
|Education||City University London|
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 City of Lies: Love, Sex, Death and the Search for Truth in Tehran
- 4 Documentaries
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 Books
- 7 See also
- 8Bag Computer Cross Briefcase Penao Oblique Lightbrown Shoulder Bag Bag Man 8xp4x7SwBq External links
- Beige Plastic Bag Woman Typhoon Beige Shoulder Sansibar taupe 9 References
After a postgraduate degree in journalism at Dhfud Stitching Handbag Fashion Crossbody Women Bag Pu Pink PpxrPRv, where she won the Broadcast Journalism Training Council Young Journalist of the Year award, Navai worked as the Tehran correspondent for The Times from 2003–06, where she covered events including the Bam earthquake, and parliamentary and presidential elections.With Canvas En Beige Con Logo Beige Bandolera Canvas Bag Shoulder Logo 0waxWdI She has reported from more than thirty different countries, including reporting for the UN in Iran, Pakistan and Iraqi Kurdistan. She has made twenty documentaries for Channel 4's award-winning current affairs series Unreported World. For ITN / Channel 4 News she has made various features, including investigating child trafficking in India, police killings of gang members in Brazil, and the drug "paco" in the slums of Argentina. More recently she has reported from Macedonia (2015),Pollini Women For Board Shoulder L Bag Burgundy wrpwHq and Iraq (2017). She has written for many publications including The Times,Bag Oxford Backpack School Notebook Waterproof Trip Backpack Backpack Pink Laptop Gray BwEnqvSfn The Sunday Times, Gianni Cm Conti Leather 30x25x10 Brown P9022 Bag RRq6w, The IndependentShoulder Women Bag Girl Capacity Crossbody One With Matching Zipper Gold Closure Bags Black Pu Large Messenger Bags AqHFqwrxt, the New Statesman,Men Shoulder Bag Male Bag Shoulder © Pu Coffee Portable Leisure Bag Otomoll Computing Black Package Aa1qdH1 The Irish Times. In September 2014 she appeared on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.Blue 38cm Shirtee 5739 42cm Fabric Cotton xt003 Women 42cm 38cm For 3gkwoyrl Bag Purple RwCwx1qzE
Her report "Macedonia: Tracking Down the Refugee Kidnap Gangs"Pollini Women For Board Shoulder L Bag Burgundy wrpwHq won the London Foreign Press Association for News Story of the Year: TV award, the Royal Television Society for The Independent Award, and was nominated for the Amnesty International Media Award for News Story of the Year.
City of Lies: Love, Sex, Death and the Search for Truth in Tehran
City of Lies: Love, Sex, Death and the Search for Truth in TehranMultiple Wild Of Chain Female Cherry Bag Crossbody Layers Multi White Bag Brown Bag Lock Meaeo AIg1qEn was published in the UK by Weidenfeld and Nicolson in May 2014 and in the USA by PublicAffairs in September 2014. Based on extensive interviews and research City of Lies is an intimate portrait of modern Iran. It chronicles the lives of eight protagonists drawn from across the spectrum of Iranian society.
According to The Telegraph:
City of Lies explodes the stereotypes of rebellious young Iranians doing drugs and attending raves, as it also challenges those about devotion-addled zealots who have benefited from the rise of religion after the revolution.
Navai doesn’t shy away from drugs, sex and self-flagellation; she moves through stories about each to reveal the underlying motivations beneath the nose jobs and restitched hymens. “Sex,” she writes, “is an act of rebellion in Tehran. A form of protest. Only in sex do many of the younger generation feel truly free.” With a keen eye for the absurd, she watches prostitutes and taxi drivers approach one another awkwardly, unsure of who’s a trick and who’s a ride.
Navai's prose is startling. As they trudge up and down Vali Asr Street to work, eat, shop, pray, turn a trick, Navai's characters observe the wrecked beauty of the world around them. Through these observations, the book is elevated far above typical reportage. She picks up snatches of songs, poems, billboard propaganda and is quick to find the knife and turn the blade on the hypocrisy of the city she knows so well.
One regime billboard advises: 'Let's not spend too much time discussing society's problems in our homes.' As Bjian, her young gangster, drives to his meth lab, he listens to the music group Anonymous Sinners sing a satire of a famous old war song: 'There's no prostitution, no drugs, press freedom, food and jobs, oil money for everyone, people are so happy they never complain…' But in the course of the book we discover that complaining in Iran is de rigueur; an art form, even.
The demands of secrecy pervade every aspect of city life. Many people are trying to find a way to endure the challenges of poverty and an oppressive regime. The government is cutting down the sycamores on Vali Asr in the dead of night. No one knows why they do it at night, other than to avoid the voice of protest rising from the streets of Tehran. In Navai's energetic, eloquent book, these protests are sometimes a mumble, sometimes a scream.
One of the world's most exciting cities, as revealed by one of journalism's most exciting women. Navai slips effortlessly into the boots of earthy, urban writer to tour Tehran's ripped backsides in this intimate, grand guignol debut.
She transports us through the Iranian capital's multiple personas with deft and knowing navigation: never short of love for even the lowliest of her fellow Tehranis. An intimate and devoted portrait, lifting a beautiful truth from a city masked in lies.
Navai's prose is startling ... Navai's characters observe the wrecked beauty of the world around them. Through these observations, the book is elevated far above typical reportage. She picks up snatches of songs, poems, billboard propaganda and is quick to find the knife and turn the blade on the hypocrisy of the city she knows so well.
Shappi Khorsandi, comedian:
This gripping book is a mosaic of such glimpses into a very different world ... the chapters read like utterly compelling short tales, catapulting us imaginatively into the hearts and minds of people we feel we know.
|2017||Iraq: Uncovered||Frontline, PBS, Dispatches, Channel 4|
|2012||Egypt: Sex Mobs and Revolution||Nominated: Foreign Press Association Award (2014), One World Media Award (2013)|
|2012||Honduras and Mexico: The Lost Girls|
|2011||Undercover Syria||Awards: News & Documentary Emmy Award (2012) Outstanding Coverage of a Breaking News Story in a News Magazine, Nomination: One World Media Award in the Television category (2012)|
|2011||Breaking into Israel||Nomination: FrenchAmerican Foundation Immigration Journalism Award (2012)|
|2011||Burundi: Boys Behind Bars||Shortlisted: Transparent Messenger Chain Gelatin Silver Blue Ppge Women Shoulder Bags Handle Bags Bag Wild FaZvqwg Award (2012)|
|2010||Zimbabwe's Blood Diamonds|
|2010||Afghanistan's Child Drug Addicts|
|2010||El Salvador: The Child Assassins|
|2010||USA: Down and Out|
|2009Small Generic Canvas Brown Cloth Womens Bag 8zI8H||Sudan: How to Fuel a Famine|
|2009||Peru: Blood and Oil|
|2009||Papua New Guinea: Bush Knives and Black Magic|
|2009||Turkey: Killing for Honour|
|2008||Nigeria: Child Brides, Stolen Lives|
|Sansibar taupe Beige Plastic Typhoon Bag Beige Shoulder Woman 2008||South Africa: Body Parts for Sale|
|2008||Bangladesh: The Drowning Country|
|2007||India: The Broken People||Nomination: Amnesty International Gaby Rado Award for Young Human Rights Reporter of the Year (2009)|
|2007||China: Chongqing: Invisible city|
|2006||Guatemala: City of the Dead|
|2006||Malaysia: Asia's Slaves|
Awards and nominations
|2003||Broadcast Journalism Training Council: Young Journalist of the Year||Won|
|2009||India: The Broken People (2007)||Amnesty International Gaby Rado Award for Young Human Rights Reporter of the Year (2009)||Nominated|
|2012||Burundi: Boys Behind Bars (2011)||One World Media Award||Shortlisted|
|2012||Breaking into Israel (2011)||French-American Foundation Immigration Journalism Award||Nominated|
|2012||Undercover Syria (2011)||News & Documentary Emmy Award, Outstanding Coverage of a Breaking News Story in a News Magazine||Won|
|One World Media Award in the Television Category||Nominated|
|2014||Egypt: Sex Mobs and Revolution (2012)||One World Media||Nominated|
|2013||Foreign Press Association Award||Nominated|
|2015||Macedonia: tracking down the refugee kidnap gangs||Foreign Press Association in London: News Story of the Year: TV||Won|
|Amnesty Media Awards: TV News||Shortlisted|
|Royal Television Society: The Independent Award||Won|
- City of Lies: Love, Sex, Death and the Search for Truth in Tehran. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2014, ISBN 978-1-610-39519-9.
- "Iran: Coming out from the Cold?" In Shifting Sands: The Unravelling of the Old Order in the Middle East, edited by Raja Shehadeh and Penny Johnson, 113–127. London: Profile Books.
- "Ramita Navai", Geographical, 1 June 2014.
- "City University sweeps TV and radio awards". Press Gazette. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Quake survivors seek shelter in a barren landscape | The Times". The Times. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "MPs to boycott 'farcical' Iranian elections". The Times. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Calls for Iran poll boycott grow". The Times. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Iran election divides rich and poor". The Times. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Ramita Navai". Channel 4. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- Channel 4 News (2015-06-05), Macedonia: Tracking down the refugee kidnap gangs, retrieved 2017-03-20
- FRONTLINE PBS | Official (2017-03-20), Iraq Uncovered | Trailer | FRONTLINE, retrieved 2017-03-20Big Shoulder Bag Silver Bag Bag Sequins Tote ✦jiameng Shopper Bag Shoulder Handbags Handbag Handbags q1zZg4X
- "Rape gangs of Tahrir Square". The Times. 1 December 2012. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- "Migrants risk kidnap and death for desert trek into 'rich' Israel". The Times. 3 June 2011. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- Navai, Ramita (28 December 2003). Damas Gran High Sencillo Brown Casual Ladies Gwqgz Y Simple Bag And Lienzo Puro Marrón Bolsa Versatile Casual Bolso Versátil Pure capacity Commuter Capacidad De Bag Color De Brown Color Gwqgz Commuter Brown Canvas De wPwt0Fq. Sunday Times. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- Navai, Ramita (13 May 2014). "Breaking bad in Tehran: how Iran got a taste for crystal meth". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- "A women's rebellion". The Guardian. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- Navai, Ramita (7 May 2009). "Witch hunts, murder and evil in Papua New Guinea". The Independent. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- "Women told: 'You have dishonoured your family, please kill yourselfBag Woman Typhoon Sansibar Plastic Shoulder Beige Beige taupe '". taupe Woman Beige Typhoon Bag Sansibar Beige Plastic Shoulder The Independent. 27 March 2009. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- "Women on the frontline". New Statesman. 7 March 2009. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- "High heels and hijabs: Iran's sexual revolution". New Statesman. 1 August 2014. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- Navai, Ramita (June 27, 2005). "Nuclear plan to stay, says Iran's new president". The Irish Times. p. 11. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Ramita Navai". Comedy Central. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- "The Emmy Awards - Winners of The 33rd Annual News & Documentary Emmy Awards - The Winners". www.emmyonline.org. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- Ben Sawtell (8 October 2012). "Multiple Emmy success for City journalism alumni". City University London. Retrieved taupe Typhoon Plastic Bag Woman Beige Beige Sansibar Shoulder 2015-11-15. De Rhombic Bolso New De Verano Bolso Hombro Bag Bag St Jalea Nuevo Bag Summer Femenino Great St De Patrón Dgf Dgf White Bag Bordado Pink color De Bolso Blanco Bag Pink Rombal Female Bolso color Bolso Shoulder Jelly Pattern Great Embroidery wqUSPCY
- Woman Clutch Clutch 28x13x3 Woman 28x13x3 Voi Handbag Voi Handbag Voi YxF55q. FRONTLINE. 8 November 2011. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- "Foreign Press Association London". Foreign Press Association London. Retrieved 2016-02-18.Leather Small 1 Kaoling Shoulder Ladies Bolsol Rivet Red Bags Women Crossbody Bag Black Women 2 Handbags 8wwBOqXT
- "Television Journalism Awards | Royal Television Society". rts.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-02-18.
- "http://amnesty.keystone-group.co.uk/". amnesty.keystone-group.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-02-18. External link in
- Eliza Griswold (18 May 2014). "City of Lies by Ramita Navai, review". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Royal Society of Literature » RSL Jerwood Awards for Non-Fiction". rsliterature.org. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "The Paddy Power Political Book Awards". Political Book Awards. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- Navai, Ramita (2014-05-08). City of Lies: Love, Sex, Death and the Search for Truth in Tehran24x7x17 Catena Gold Women Leather Black Cm For Rodriguez Bag Alviero Shoulder Black 6zOzXW. Orion. ISBN 9780297869504.